Strange Horse Garb

Global Horse Culture Archive on January 16, 2008, 21:59

I have never seen such a thing before. Does anyone know what it is? I am guessing it could be a decorative fly sheet, or a way of wearing a decorative "blanket" in warm weather, given that the man holding the horse (General Grant?) is formally dressed, and that the horse's saddle pad is also ornate.  Look at the little tassles on the ears! 

The photo is from the Library of Congress collection,  dates from between 1910 and 1915, and depicts General Grant's horse.